As a guest in a Miami hotel, you are owed more than just a clean room and a comfortable bed. When you are a guest in any Florida hotel, you are owed legal duties of care by whatever establishment you are in. A Miami hotel is required by law to make their property safe to be used by guests. This includes not just the rooms and the pool; it also includes areas such as the parking lot, fitness center, as well as any other areas the hotel owns that are likely to be used by guests in any way. If a Miami hotel fails to live up to this legal standard and allows a dangerous condition on the property that causes an injury, then they can be held financially liable in a hotel injury claim.
What Types of Claims Can You Make for a Hotel Injury?
Most claims against Miami hotels for injuries sustained will fall under the legal theory of negligence. Negligence is based on the legal requirement that someone (in this case the hotel) owes you a duty of care to keep you reasonably safe as a guest of the hotel. When hotels fail to live up to that standard, they can be held financially responsible. The most common Miami hotel injury claims fall into one of the following three categories:
- Premises liability claims (slip and fall): A premises liability claim is also known as a slip and fall. If a hotel fails to keep its premises safe for people to use, then they may be held financially responsible in a premises liability claim. This includes accidents that result from unsafe steps or sidewalks, poorly lit areas, and neglected spills.
- Security-related injuries: A Miami hotel is required to take reasonable measures to maintain the security of its guests. A hotel should have professionally trained security that is adequate enough to reasonably maintain the safety of guests from injuries sustained in assaults. If you have suffered an injury from another hotel guest, or even someone from the hotel itself, then a Miami hotel can be held financially responsible to compensate you for your injuries.
- Transportation-related injuries: Many Miami hotels offer transportation to and from the local airports in downtown Miami and nearby Fort Lauderdale. When hotels offer this service, they are also taking on added legal responsibilities to ensure that guests arrive at the hotel or airport safely. An accident that occurs during one of these trips to and from the airport can result in a Miami hotel being held financially responsible for your injuries.
To best understand what type of claim you may have against a Miami hotel for your injuries, it is important that you speak to an experienced Miami hotel injury attorney who can help guide you and answer your specific legal questions.
What should I do if I’m injured in a Miami Hotel?
If you have suffered an injury at a Miami hotel, there are five basic steps you can take to help your potential Miami hotel injury case, they are:
- If possible, take good clear photos of the scene of the accident. It is important that these photos show whatever dangerous condition existed that led to your injuries.
- Make sure to file an incident report with the hotel immediately. Also, make sure to get a copy of whatever is filed with the hotel.
- Take down the names of everybody involved. You may be forced to take pictures of people if they refuse to give you their information.
- Go and seek immediate medical attention so you can understand the extent of whatever injuries you have suffered.
- Take several photos of your injuries as the appear immediately, as well as the days after as some injuries don’t appear right away.
These five simple steps can be a huge help to your case. Your case will be infinitely stronger if you have physical and visual evidence to back up your claims. If you fail to take these steps, you may hurt your ability to recover for your injuries suffered at a Miami hotel.
Prosper Shaked Accident Injury Attorneys PA is Here to Help
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury in or around a Miami hotel, then it is important that you consult with an experienced Miami hotel injury attorney. Prosper Shaked Accident Injury Attorneys PA is proud to offer FREE consultations to all prospective clients. Call us today at (305) 694-2676 or contact us online for an experienced and honest assessment of your legal situation. Our advice is free, and all our discussions will always be protected by the attorney-client privilege. Take your first steps towards recovery with a consultation with an experienced hotel injury attorney at Prosper Shaked Accident Injury Attorneys PA today.