Vacation and short-term stays at Florida hotels offer guests a range of accommodation options, but not all hotels prioritize safety and hazard-free environments. Unfortunately, some Hyatt Hotels in Florida can pose dangers that can lead to injury. These hazards can stem from the hotel manager’s negligence, poor maintenance practices, or other non-structural issues.
If you have experienced harm while at a Hyatt Hotel, whether from an attack by security personnel, a slip and fall in the shower, or an injury at the hotel swimming pool, you have the right to pursue legal action against the hotel under Florida’s premises liability laws.
While your hotel injury attorney can handle the legal aspects of your claim, what can you do to help your case? Are there steps you can take to improve your chances of winning maximum compensation after an injury in a Hyatt?
Steps to Take After Getting Hurt at a Hyatt
What happens if you are injured in a hotel – such as a Hyatt Hotel in Miami, Florida? If you get hurt while staying at a hotel as a guest, it’s essential to follow these steps:
- Seek medical attention: Your health and well-being should be your top priority. If you have suffered any injuries, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Getting medical care after an injury can also serve as documentation of the harm you suffered, which can be valuable in supporting a compensation claim. It is also necessary for insurance purposes.
- Report the incident to the hotel management: Inform the hotel management about what happened and provide them with details about the incident and the extent of your injuries. Hyatt’s management should also provide you with a copy of their incident report, which can serve as valuable evidence in future legal proceedings.
Reporting the incident to Hyatt management can help to address any safety concerns or hazards that may have contributed to the injury and prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.
Your attorney will review past accidents and incident reports on Hyatt’s property to see if this was a known hazard.
- Take photographs: It’s important to take clear and detailed pictures of the scene of the accident and any visible injuries, as well as any other relevant details, such as the location of hazards or the condition of Hyatt’s room or facilities. This can help protect your rights and increase your chances of winning your Hyatt injury claim.
Pictures can also supplement written documentation, such as witness statements, medical reports, and receipts, to provide a comprehensive picture of the events in the hotel and the injury’s impact.
- Collect witness information: If anyone witnessed the incident, get their contact information so they can serve as witnesses if needed. Your attorney might need to interview them when building your case.
- Keep records: Make sure to keep any medical bills, receipts, and other documentation related to the incident and your injuries. Records can serve as evidence in any potential legal case and help support your compensation claim. Keeping records of any expenses incurred as a result of your Hyatt injury accident, such as medical bills or lost wages, can help to document the full extent of the financial impact of the incident.
- Consider legal action: If the incident resulted from Hyatt’s negligence, you might have a compensation case. Consult with a personal injury attorney to determine your rights and options.
- Follow treatment plan: Make sure to follow your doctor’s treatment plan after your injury in a Hyatt. Hyatt’s insurers will look for any reason to reduce your claim. Fill medications promptly, attend all rehabilitation sessions, and make follow-up appointments.
- Stay off social media: Social media platforms can compromise your personal information, and any details you post about the accident or your injuries could get used against you in a legal case. In addition, the information you share on social media may not accurately represent the events that took place and could harm your credibility if you choose legal action.
Taking these steps can protect your rights and increase the chances of receiving fair compensation if you were harmed while staying at a Hyatt hotel in Florida.
Can You Sue Hyatt Hotel for an Injury?
If you slipped while walking around the pool or got assaulted in the parking garage at a Hyatt, you could file a lawsuit seeking compensation. Hyatt Hotels are often located in dangerous locations; some have known hazards that they failed to fix. Other Hyatt Hotels are managed and maintained improperly, leading to significant injury accidents every year.
Before winning your injury claim against Hyatt, your attorney must establish that the hotel knew or should have known the danger and failed to take action. This might include not staffing enough lifeguards on duty, not placing “wet floor” signs at entryways during a storm, or failing to fix a broken balcony railing.
Types of Accidents That Often Occur at Hyatt Hotels
Hyatt Hotels can be the site of accidents in any area on the resort property, whether in the parking lot, the lobby, or the pool. Despite the efforts of workers and maintenance crew to maintain a safe and hazard-free environment, accidents can still occur. Some examples include:
- Assault and battery: Anyone, including other guests, hotel employees, or civilians, can gain access to a Hyatt without much trouble. These individuals can cause trouble and potentially pose a threat to your safety. If you were the victim of assault or attack in a Hyatt Hotel, you might have a negligent security case for failure to provide a secure environment.
- Room accidents: A range of incidents can occur in a hotel room, such as electric shocks from exposed wires or slip-and-fall accidents from torn carpeting. Maintenance often does not check furniture stability and durability, so if a Hyatt Hotel bed or dresser collapses or you suffer an injury from a shower defect, you may have an injury case.
- Structural damages: A collapsing ceiling or wall can result in serious harm. In addition, other objects can become loose or dislodge due to structural damage. If a falling object injures you at a Hyatt, you might be able to file a premises liability lawsuit against the hotel.
- Spa accidents: Injuries can occur at the hotel spa due to broken tables, discarded towels, or slip-and-fall incidents. Hot water incidents can also occur, leading to scalding and burn injuries.
- Pool accidents: The absence of lifeguards can increase the risk of accidents at a Hyatt Hotel swimming pool. Accidental drownings, ladder and diving board malfunctions, and chemical burns can result from negligence.
- Gym accidents: Equipment, such as weights, benches, and treadmills, can pose a risk in the hotel gym, and slippery floors from sweat or grease can also contribute to accidents.
- Bed bug infestation: Hyatt and other hotels in Florida are legally required to provide habitable rooms, and a bed bug infestation violates that law. If bed bugs bite you during your stay, you may have a case against Hyatt Hotels.
Deadline to Sue Hyatt Hotels After an Injury Accident
Every state has a deadline that injured accident victims must meet to file a claim or a personal injury lawsuit. This is known as the statute of limitations. In Florida, you must file a premises liability lawsuit within two years from the date of the injury. While this seems like a lot of time, valuable evidence can get lost or destroyed if you don’t act quickly. Plus, large hotels like Hyatt will look to resolve this case quickly by pressuring you to sign a quick settlement.
Do not sign anything without first speaking to a premises liability attorney at our law firm. We know how to handle Hyatt injury claims and can help you pursue maximum compensation.
Contact Our Miami Hotel Injury Lawyers Today
Miami Attorney Prosper Shaked works quickly to help injured Florida victims and their families obtain compensation for their injuries after suffering an injury in a Miami hotel. Hyatt is a popular hotel chain in Miami and throughout South Florida, with large legal teams and insurance companies on their side. We can help level the playing field and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today to get a free consultation and review of your case. We can evaluate your claim and help you explore all your legal options.
Call Prosper Shaked Accident Injury Attorneys PA today at (305) 694-2676 or fill out our confidential contact form.