Rollover car accidents are among the most treacherous collisions that occur on America’s highways and back roads. Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reported that in 2016, there were 3,176 car accident fatalities in the State of Florida, with 192 of them involving overturned or rolled over vehicles. When a vehicle overturns, seatbelts and airbags offer limited protection for drivers and passengers. The risk for brain and spinal cord injuries are especially heightened because of the risk of high velocity impact. If you or someone you love have been injured in a rollover accident, call the Law Offices of Prosper Shaked right away. Consulting with a Miami personal injury attorney is your first step towards receiving the just compensation you deserve.
Rollover Accident Statistics
The number of fatalities that are the result of rollover accidents has seen a significant increase between 2014 and 2016. FLHSMV reported that since 2014, there has been a 43% increase in fatalities caused by overturned vehicles and rollover crashes. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted research showing that nearly half of all overturned vehicles and rollover accidents involve alcohol. Furthermore, NHTSA data also reported that 85% of all rollover accident fatalities are caused by single-vehicle crashes and 90% of the fatalities involved a routine driving maneuver. Approximately 40% of these fatalities involved excessive speeding. Based on the data, it appears that driver error and behavior is likely the catalyst of most of these types of crashes.
Types of Rollover Accidents
There a few different ways by which a vehicle can overturn or rollover while under the control of a motorist. Some of these types of accidents include:
- Un-tripped rollovers – These rollover accidents occur less frequently than other types. They usually involve vehicles that are top heavy, and they occur less than 5% of the time. Un-tripped rollovers occur when a vehicle is traveling at a high speed and engages in an avoidance maneuver.
- Guardrail – Vehicles can rollover on a guardrail when traveling at a high rate of speed. If a vehicle strikes a guardrail while speeding, it can ride up and overturn.
- Soft soil – A vehicle can overturn if it veers off the road to the right onto soil. If the driver veers back to the left too sharply and the wheels of the vehicle dig into the soil there is a significant risk of a rollover.
- Steep slope – These accidents usually involve sports vehicles traveling down steep hills while off-roading. If a driver picks up speeds and makes a turn that is too sharp for the steepness of the road, the vehicle most likely will overturn.
Rollover accidents can be triggered by a variety of conditions. Some common factors in overturned vehicle accidents include:
- Inclement weather conditions
- Defective motor vehicle parts
- Aggressive driving
- Motor vehicles that contain too much weight
- Top heavy vehicles
- Error on behalf of another driver
It is crucial for a victim of a rollover accident to seek counsel from an experienced Miami car accident attorney. Negligence on the part of another driver can be hard to prove in these types of cases because they are so often caused by driver inattention or error. Consult with a Miami rollover accident attorney at the Law Offices of Prosper Shaked to receive an honest assessment of your claim and chances of recovery.
Common Injuries Caused by Rollover Accidents
Injuries sustained during rollover accidents tend to be more severe due to the erratic movement involved and risk for head injuries when vehicles overturn. Some of the most common injuries that are suffered as a result of rollover accident include:
- Neck injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones and fractures
- Bruising and scarring
- Head injuries
- Spinal court injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
Due to the severity of injuries that occur as a result of rollover accidents, victims can wind up paying thousands of dollars for medical expenses and rehabilitation costs. Sometimes victims have to miss work for weeks and months at a time which makes it very difficult to stay current with bills. An attorney with trail experience and expertise in personal injury law can put a victim in an optimal position for financial recovery to help with these expenses.
Miami Rollover Accidents Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a rollover accident, call a personal injury attorney right away. Consulting with a Miami rollover accidents lawyer at the Law Offices of Prosper Shaked is critical for you to be justly compensated for the injuries you have suffered. Do not let your medical bills and other expenses continue to pile up without taking action. Call the Law Offices of Prosper Shaked today at (305) 694-2676 to schedule a free and confidential consultation with an attorney who will fight for you.